So I finally got the opportunity to deploy ODA 2.5 on a development Oracle Database Appliance. The Documentation is very lacking and needs more refinement for the masses.
Here are the steps to deploy ODA 2.4 by reimaging the ODA . Concepts and procedures for bare maetaling the box remain the same.
1. Use the ILOM to connect to the box via remote control and mount the VM Image ( Need to do this on both hosts individually)
2. After the reboot . The imaging Process will start and should takes between 1-2 hrs (Took about 2 hrs 30 minutes for me)
3. Once you get the Oracle VM Server 3.1.1 screen. Your box has been imaged with a dom0 image.
4. If you are using the ILOM you can ALT-F2 to get a login prompt
5. Login as root
6. Ensure that both boxes have been reimaged before starting the next step
7. Run /opt/oracle/oak/bin/oakcli configure firstnet ( on the first node)
8. You have 2 options (Local or Global)
9. Global should be selectedi f both nodes are ready ot be ip'ed
10. Select the network net1 , net2, net3, net4)
11. Please note it is a little confusing but Here is a break down
a. priv1=bond0 (Interconnect)
12. Oracle Failed to mention this but on startup does provide the MAC Addresses as well as ethernet names and bond info so be careful and ensure that you understand your network topology prior to installing.
13. You do want to make sure you have a DNS entry and a new IP Address for the DOM0 for each Server Node (2 x Dom0)
14. Needless to say the network should be same on both nodes e.g public should be cabled on net1 on both nodes for consistency
15. The network config will configure the public on both nodes for Dom0 only
16. After the config scp patch 16186172 into /OVS on the Dom0 box 0
17. Unzip the patch 1 & 2 files and cat them together cat a b >templates.
18. Deploy the oda_base
[root@odadb1-dom0 bin]# ./oakcli deploy oda_base Enter the template location: /OVS/templateBuild-2013-01-15-08-53.tar.gz Core Licensing Options: 1. 2 CPU Cores 2. 4 CPU Cores 3. 6 CPU Cores 4. 8 CPU Cores 5. 10 CPU Cores 6. 12 CPU Cores Selection[1 : 6] : 5 ODA base domain memory in GB(min 8, max 88)[default 80] : INFO: Using default memory size i.e. 80 GB INFO: Node 0 INFO: Deployment in non local mode INFO: Running the command to copy the template /OVS/templateBuild-2013-01-15-08- 53.tar.gz to remote node 1 templateBuild-2013-01-15-08-53.tar.gz 100% 4620MB 47.6MB/s 01:37 INFO: Node 0 INFO: Spawned the process 26679 in the deployment node 0 INFO: Trying to setup on deployment node 0 INFO: Spawned the process 26680 in the node 1 INFO: Trying to setup on node 1 templateBuild-2013-01-15-08-53/swap.img ...... templateBuild-2013-01-15-08-53/u01.img Using config file "/OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMachines/oakDom1/vm.cfg" . Started domain oakDom1 (id=1) INFO: Deployment in local mode INFO: Node 1 INFO: Extracted the image files on node 1 INFO: Node 1 INFO: The VM Configuration data is written to /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/Virt ualMachines/oakDom1/vm.cfg file INFO: Running /sbin/losetup /dev/loop0 /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMach ines/oakDom1/System.img command to mount the image file INFO: Mount is successfully completed on /dev/loop0 INFO: Making change to the /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMachines/oakDom1 /tmpmnt/boot/grub/grub.conf file INFO: Node 1 INFO: Node 1 INFO: Assigning IP to the second node... INFO: Node 1 INFO: Created oda base pool INFO: Starting ODA Base... Using config file "/OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMachines/oakDom1/vm.cfg" . Started domain oakDom1 (id=1) INFO: Deployment in local mode INFO: Node 0 INFO: Extracted the image files on node 0 INFO: Node 0 INFO: The VM Configuration data is written to /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/Virt ualMachines/oakDom1/vm.cfg file INFO: Running /sbin/losetup /dev/loop0 /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMach ines/oakDom1/System.img command to mount the image file INFO: Mount is successfully completed on /dev/loop0 INFO: Making change to the /OVS/Repositories/odabaseRepo/VirtualMachines/oakDom1 /tmpmnt/boot/grub/grub.conf file INFO: Node 0 INFO: Node 0 INFO: Assigning IP to the first node... INFO: Node 0 INFO: Created oda base poo1 INFO: Starting ODA Base…19. Once oda_base is deployed
[root@podadb31-dom0 bin]# ./oakcli show oda_base ODA base domain ODA base CPU cores :10 ODA base domain memory :80 ODA base template :/OVS/templateBuild-2013-01-15-08-53.tar.g
20.Once the oda_base is installed you will have to vnc in using the dom0 port 5900 to get access to the database server ( Due to a bug you will need to vnc in on both servers first and press the press any key to continue).
21. Once logged in you will need to IP the oda_base
22.You can either use the /opt/oracle/oak/bin/oakcli configure firstnet ( Please note it detects VM Environment and gives eth1,eth2,eth3 and eth4 as options )23. Better to use ./oakcli deploy
24. Oakcli now has option to change the proxy port for ASR as wella s configure external ASR server
25. External ASR server needs a server name as well as port (no definition of what the port is supposed to be )
26. Also due to a bug if vm manager is bounced you will have to vnc in and hit "press any key to continue". you can see that below
This is the first release of ODA on a virtualized platform and glitches are to be expected. but it does seems to have been rushed out .
Please feel free to comment or ask questions. I have only deployed a DOm0 and the ODA_base here but i will deploy an app shortly and post my experience
Update: Edited steps and changed the network names